Almost every team has played a division game and there have been a few early surprises.
- Philadelphia opened Region 6-2A play with a 24-14 win over defending 2A state champion Scott Central behind two rushing touchdowns by Mississippi State commit Lideatrick Griffin.
- Taylorsville bounced back after being shut out by Jackson Prep by thumping Bay Springs 42-6 in their Region 5-2A opener in a matchup of teams ranked in the Little 10.
- In another Region 5-2A opener Puckett held off previously unbeaten Mize 21-14.
- Noxubee County quarterback Marlon Windham threw two touchdowns and rushed for another as the Tigers defeated Houston 19-12 in their Region 4-3A opener.
- Eupora got a Kimble Dillinger 26-yard field goal in the second quarter and a safety in the third quarter to defeat Bruce 5-2 in their Region 2-2A opener.
- Senatobia needed a 28-yard touchdown run by Nickisis Sipp with just under two minutes to go in the game for the Warriors to knock off North Panola, ranked No. 2 in the Little 10, 21-20 in their Region 2-3A opener.
- Calhoun City used an always stiff defense that recorded five sacks to help get past previously unbeaten East Webster 28-7 to open Region 2-2A play.
All-Star rosters announced
Rosters were announced for the 33rd Annual MS/AL All-Star Game and the 75th Annual Bernard Blackwell North/South All-Star Game on Wednesday at a press conference held at the MHSAA office in Clinton.
The MS/AL All-Star Game will be held at Southern Miss’ M.M. Roberts Stadium on Saturday, Dec. 14 at Noon.
Horn Lake (Josiah Hayes, Deon Biggins, Jakivuan Brown) and Olive Branch (Xavier Hill, Jevon Banks, Laterius Carr) will each have three players participating in the game. Three players are the most a team can have participating in either of the all-star games.
The Bernard Blackwell All-Star Game will be played on Saturday, Dec. 21 at 11:30 a.m. at Gulfport’s Milner Stadium.
Notable players participating on the North roster are Itawamba AHS running back Ike Chandler; Clinton receiver E. Jai Mason; Greenwood receiver Kobe Chambers; Yazoo County receiver Corey Rucker; Louisville quarterback Bryandrea Shumaker and linebacker Kristian Hopkins.
On the South roster are North Pike quarterback Alijah Martin; Philadelphia quarterback Asher Morgan; South Pike quarterback Dontavious Turner will play receiver; Oak Grove receiver Brandon Hayes; Taylorsville receiver Jabez Griffith; Gautier linebacker Drake Thornton; East Central linebacker Zach Jones and Petal running back Micah McGowan.
Some notable players that were left off both rosters were Columbia defensive lineman Jordan Aaron; Houston offensive lineman Calvin McMillian; Petal quarterback Decarlos Nicholson; Oak Grove running back Nick Milsap; West Point running back Brandon Harris and West Jones defensive end Dontorurean Crosby.
Mother Nature strikes again
There were 11 games that were affected by weather on Friday night.
Wayne County and Pearl River Central were delayed nearly three hours, but the game was played and ended a few minutes after midnight. Wayne County won 21-6.
The Oak Grove-Petal game was delayed two hours due to lightning and the game ended around 11:30 Friday night. Petal won 21-7.
Stone at Purvis was postponed and played Saturday morning at Pearl River Community College. Poplarville at Forrest Co. AHS was played Saturday night, but delayed an hour.
Columbia at Tylertown was postponed Friday and Saturday night before being played Sunday afternoon. Wildcats would come away with a 46-0 win.
Three games were postponed and will be played on Monday. Brookhaven at Laurel (5 p.m.); Lumberton at Sacred Heart (6 p.m.) and St. Patrick at North Forrest (6 p.m., North Forrest is up 12-0) at halftime.
Richton at Wayne Academy game was cancelled at halftime. Richton was winning 20-7.
There are a total of 22 unbeaten teams remaining.
Top-ranked Madison Central is the only undefeated team in Class 6A. Provine is off to a 7-0 start for the first time since 2004. Second-ranked Picayune and eighth-ranked West Jones are the other unbeaten teams in 5A.
Itawamba AHS, Greenwood and South Pike are the undefeated teams in 4A.
Region 8-3A has the only undefeated teams in 3A in Columbia, Magee and West Marion. Magee travels to West Marion on Friday night.
Northside, South Delta, Lake and Enterprise-Clarke the unbeaten teams in 2A.
Resurrection is the only unbeaten team in 1A.
Teams undefeated in the MAIS are Heritage Academy, Riverfield (La.), Winona Christian, Greenville St. Joseph, Manchester Academy, Prairie View (La.) and Tensas (La.).
MHSAA vs. MAIS
The Richton at Wayne Academy game was the only scheduled crossover game for Week 7, but it was cancelled due to the weather. The MAIS will have bragging rights regardless this season holding a 16-5 edge over MHSAA teams.
There is one more game between the two associations on Oct. 25 when Magnolia Heights visits Mantachie.